A fund drive has been set up at the Hailey Elementary School to gather donations for the family of firefighter Danielle Edelman, who lost all their belongings in a house fire early Monday morning in Hailey.
The fire broke out about 1 a.m. in the wood stove chimney of the two-story building on First Avenue. Eight hours passed before firefighters were able to extinguish it. By then, it had consumed the belongings of Edelman, her son and four others.
The Hailey Fire Department’s Burnout Fund is helping them with hotel rooms and is expected to provide funding for first and last month’s rent to get them into a new place, said Hailey Fire Marshal Mike Baledge.
Hailey Elementary School Principal Tom Bailey wrote a letter to parents of students this week, asking for cash donations to be sent to the school with their children, to be used to help the Edelman family.
“One of our families has experienced a tragedy,” Bailey wrote. “They lost everything but thankfully everyone was safe. In an effort to help support them during this difficult time as they attempt to replenish all their belongings, we are asking for monetary donations. This is a great opportunity to teach our students about giving and community support.”
“Donations are flooding in,” said school Secretary Jane Dyndiuk in an interview. “A bicycle was donated today by an employee. It has been pretty heartwarming to see the generosity of this community.”
The cash that being collected at the school in a jar will be combined with mail-in donations and given to the Parent Teacher Association, and later presented to the family.
Mail donations to Hailey Elementary School, 520 First Ave. S., Hailey, ID 83333.