Hailey’s Ryan Stavros captured his first Sun Valley Golf Club men’s championship on Sunday in a rarely-contested tournament playoff with last year’s club championship runner-up Dillon Witmer.
In the 18-player Men’s Flight, Stavros (80-77 for 157-147) finished in a dead heat with another five-handicapper, Witmer (78-79 for 157-147). Each player carded even-par on the 530-yard par-5 first hole.
Stavros had another par on the next playoff hole, the 384-yard second hole, while Witmer settled for a bogey. Stavros, Gary Moser and Dick Coleman carded the best 18-hole rounds of the two-day tournament, with 77s Sunday.
Third-place gross stroke finisher in the Men’s Flight was Mike Abaid. David Demkovich won Men’s Flight net, while Coleman was the Senior Men’s gross stroke winner and Steve Tracy took the net title in Senior Men.
Heather O’Leary (79-79 for 158) won the Women’s Flight and Shellie Bronson was the net winner among women.
Closest-to-the-pin winners were Barrett Molter (Saturday) and Witmer (Sunday). Top results follow for the 31 men and seven women in the tourney:
· Men’s Flight—Gross: 1—Ryan Stavros 80-77 for 157-147 (won playoff on second hole). 2—Dillon Witmer 78-79 for 157-147. 3—Mike Abaid 79-82 for 161-151. Net: 1—David Demkovich 83-86 for 169-143. 2—Tom Osenton 86-85 for 171-145. 3—Clif Neely 86-79 for 165-147 (18 golfers).
· Senior Men’s Flight—Gross: 1—Dick Coleman 81-77 for 158-148. 2—John Manocheo 83-81 for 164-152. Net: 1—Steve Tracy 97-96 for 193-147. 2 (tie)—Ken Hills 91-86 for 177-149 and Ed Lawson 90-87 for 177-149 (13 golfers).
· Women’s Flight—Gross: 1—Heather O’Leary 79-79 for 158-158. Net: 1—Shellie Bronson 97-89 for 186-130. 2—Nancy Warren 94-93 for 187-145 (7 golfers).
Valley Club Pro Men’s golf
Jake Harr of Buhl’s Clear Lake Country Club (70 for $279) picked up the Professional Division championship by a single stroke during the 18-hole Valley Club Pro Men’s tournament Sept. 12. Harr slipped past Joe Griffin of The Club at SpurWing of Meridian (71 for $209), with Valley Club pro Nick Brown placing third (73 for $139).
Senior Pro winner was John Graham of Sand Creek in Idaho Falls (72, $149) ahead of Mike Hamblin of Blue Lakes Country Club in Twin Falls (75, $99).
Harr’s foursome with Kendall Kowitz, Tracy Harr and Jeff Malina (129 strokes) captured the Team Division and its $723 winnings. Tying for third place was Boise professional Jeff Thomsen and amateurs Barry Bevers, Rick Filkins and Steve Stoddard (133, $340).
Amateur Championship and First Flight winners were Bracken Webb (74, $235) and Tracy Harr (81, $243). Here are top amateurs:
· Championship Flight—Gross: 1—Bracken Webb 74. 2—Kim Hall 77. 3—Barry Bevers 78. 4 (tie)—Corky Federico 81, Bob Rode 81, Don Breding 81 and Kurt Funkhouser 81. Net: 1—Ray French 70. 2—Bob Dunn 71. 3—Rick Filkins 72. 4 (tie)—Tom Romrell 73 and Tift Mann 73.
· First Flight Flight—Gross: 1—Tracy Harr 81. 2—Mike Redman 85. 3—Scott Hadley 90. 4—Kendall Kowitz 91. Net: 1 (tie)—Lunden Morgan 68 and Paul Morgan 68. 3—Jeff Malina 74. 4 (tie)—Jim Johnson 76 and Steve Haims 76.