Surprise appearances with special guests including Olympic snowboard halfpipe gold medalist Kaitlyn Farrington are in store for the Battle of the Blades fundraising performance on Friday, Sept. 5.
Event coordinator Robin Sias said Monday that Farrington will be featured prominently in the show. Farrington was a Battle of the Blades contestant in 2012 with pro Eddie Gornik before she became famous in the Sochi Winter Olympics.
Sias said, “Kaitlyn has very graciously agreed to be part of this year’s event and will participate in a way that is sure to inspire the youth of the valley. So many young people in the valley look up to her so her participation is truly exciting.”
Another surprise will occur, but organizers will wait for the show itself to reveal that special guest. The outdoor show is a fundraising event for the Sun Valley Figure Skating Club.
Organizers said tickets are selling fast. They are sold online, only, sunvalleyfsc.com.
In other updates:
· Contestants and pros have been logging serious hours at the rink and are preparing a varied musical show featuring a range of songs from show tunes to 80s big hair bands;
· Costumes and themes in particular will be popular;
· There will be a number featuring the professional figure skaters in addition to all the amateur skaters;
· Artistic directors Lisa-Marie Allen and Gia Guddat and production manager Nick Maricich are working hard with the clock ticking down;
· The opening number and finale will be filled with local skaters and familiar faces.
Doors at Sun Valley Outdoor Ice Rink open at 7 p.m. Sept. 5 and the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets still remain including general admission adult tickets for $26.25 and general admission student tickets at $15.75.
Nine well-known locals will each perform with a professional skater under the spotlight Sept. 5. They are:
Maggie Acker (with pro Brent Bommentre), Zach Crist (Ashley Clark), Christine Davis-Jeffers (Jonathon Hunt), Emilie DuPont (Joel Dear), Chris Koch (Stephanee Grosscup), Bob Polk (Natalia Zaitseva), George Rizzo (Darlin Baker), Scott Slonim (Kim Navarro) and Megan Thomas (Ty Cockrum).
The couples compete for local non-profits that include:
Animal Shelter of the Wood River Valley, Camp Rainbow Gold, the Community School, the Flourish Foundation, the Hunger Coalition, Sun Valley Center for the Arts, Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation, St. Luke’s Wood River Foundation and Swiftsure Ranch.
The top three finishers’ chosen organizations earn cash donations. Skaters receive scores from celebrity judges and via an “applause-o-meter” that gauges audience response.