“Golf, the Greatest Game on Grass,” was the tournament theme for The Valley Club’s Wildflower Women’s Member-Guest golf tournament Aug. 7-8.
Overall champions with the lowest net score over 36 holes were member Barb Smith and guest Jean Smith 68-72 gross (60-61 net) for 140-121. They won by nine strokes. The Smith twosome was last year’s Wildflower low gross champion.
Another repeat winning team, Gail Landis and Mary Jane Burns, placed first net in the Patty Berg Flight with scores of 77-82 (62-68 net) for a 36-hole gross-net total of 159-130.
There were 66 players on the 33 two-person teams. Tournament format was two-person better ball with three flights represented. Each flight crowned a net and gross champion.
Other net winners by flight were JoAnn Stevens and Casey Wechsler, Sherry St. Clair and Mollie Campbell.
Gross stroke winners were Gina Wolcott and Mary Kay Gandolfi, Gay Emery and Brownell Cochran, Barbara Thrasher and Lynne Heidel.
The tournament included special contests:
· Straightest drives Friday: Members—Jeanne Mace, Heidi Ottley and Susan Crowe. Guests—Sharon Wade, MJ Burns and Felicie Lewis.
· Closest to the pin Thursday: Members—Gail Landis 9 feet, 6 inches; Sandra Fisher 12 feet, 9 inches; and Alice Lane 17 feet, 1 inch. Guests—Linda Lathrop 14 feet, 11 inches; Carole Armand 18 feet, 8 inches; and Jean Smith 35 feet, 2 inches.
· Putting/chipping Wednesday: Members—Barb Smith 10 putts/Terry Seigel 2 feet, 2 inches. Guests—Linda Lathrop 10 putts (card-off winner)/Mary Kay Gandolfi holed.
Flight results, with club members listed first:
· Patty Berg Flight: 1st gross—Gina Wolcott and Mary Kay Gandolfi 83-74 for 157-132. 2nd gross—Martina Lewis Bradford and Kathy Thiel 81-84 for 165-133. 3rd gross—Terry Seigel and Barb Segal 82-84 for 166-138.
1st net—Gail Landis and Mary Jane Burns 62-68 for 130. 2nd net—Carole Almond and Sharon Wade 69-65 for 134. 3rd net—Jeanne Mace and Bert Winther 66-68 for 134.
Other twosomes were Gail Thornton-Georgie Fenton, Heidi Ottley-Glenna Ottley and Joanne Wetherell-Linda Lathrop.
· Betsy Rawls Flight: 1st gross—Gay Emery and Brownell Cochran 89-84 for 173-129. 2nd gross—Gundl Haskell and Heather Haskell 90-86 for 176-130. 3rd gross—Wendy Pesky and Nancy Karetsky 88-92 for 180-137.
1st net—JoAnn Stevens and Casey Wechsler 65-64 for 129. 2nd net—Alice Lane and Felicie Lewis 68-64 for 132. 3rd net—Esther Ochsman and Renie Alverson 67-67 for 134.
Other twosomes were Sue Fuller-Mary Rolland, Ursula Hinson-Jeannine Burns, Lisa Langbehn-Kim Ellwanger, Marsha Ingham-Frankie Freese, Bonnie Hovencamp-Jackie Damerel and Mollie McCain-Betsy Manchester.
· Louise Suggs Flight: 1st gross—Barbara Thrasher and Lynne Heidel 91-94 for 185-131. 2nd gross—Kerry Funkhouser and Barbara Keller 88-99 for 187-145. 3rd gross—Sandra Fisher and Jane Van Auker 95-95 for 190-136.
1st net—Sherry St. Clair and Mollie Campbell 65-68 for 133. 2nd net—Maria Acosta and Julia Webb 66-68 for 134. 3rd net—Judy Comito and Carol Davis 65-72 for 137.
Other twosomes were Gay Weake-Fran Suydam, Patti McGrath-Celia Streit, Sue Phillips-Carole Armand, Diana Frazier-Linda Mack and Susan Crowe-Mary Ann Koester.