The 5th District High School rodeo competition is in the books for 2014, finalizing a list of top performers from this area to the Idaho State High School Rodeo Finals June 8-14 at Bannock County Fairgrounds in Pocatello.
Two Memorial Day weekend rodeo performances in Gooding capped the 12-rodeo, six-event spring circuit last Friday and Saturday.
Crowned as all-around girls’ and boys’ season winners were Katelyn Perkins from eastern Idaho, riding for Dietrich, and Cody Ruby from Stockton, Utah, riding for Valley.
Perkins in her first year on the 5th District circuit just kept piling on the points. In the last two rodeos, at Gooding and Hailey, she amassed 134 of her season-high total of 347.5 points including 62 at Gooding.
The bulk of those points came in team roping, which Perkins won with Wyatt Williams of Gooding at 91 points for the season, and in breakaway roping (second for the season with 86.5) and in goat tying (73 points).
“Rookie of the Year” Perkins finished 62.5 points ahead of second-place and Reserve Cowgirl Marlee Mussmann of Valley and Murtaugh, Idaho (285 points). In third place from Grantsville, Utah was Cassie Bahe (267).
Boys’ all-around winner was Cody Ruby of Valley and Stockton, Utah with 209 points, ahead of Reserve Cowboy Wyatt Williams of Gooding, 182. “Rookie of the Year” was Tanner Ward of Richfield.
At the Gooding rodeo, Bellevue’s Sarah Rau moved up into the points—racking up 11 points with sixth- and eighth-place barrel racing finishes of 17.735 and 17.542 seconds, along with an eighth place in goat tying Saturday at 12.04.
Carey’s Kylie Castle, the top Blaine County female finisher for the season with 99.5 points for 10th place overall, earned 22 points at Gooding topped by third- and fourth-place goat tying rides at 10.0 and 9.53 seconds. She qualified for state in goat tying in sixth place.
Matt Whitworth of Carey ended up in ninth place in the boys’ overall ranks with 61. His eight points at Gooding came in team roping with Cole Millican of Gooding, stopping the clock at 23.38 seconds.
Wood River’s Gaje Moats of Hailey finished third in the bull riding season standings, while Kendra Price and Tayler Bosch of Wood River placed third and fourth in girls’ cutting.
The top six finishers in the season event standings qualified for the state finals in Pocatello. Here are the final point standings for overall, and event leaders and locals:
· All-around girls: 1—Katelyn Perkins, Dietrich and Geneva 347.5 points. 2—Marlee Mussmann, Valley and Murtaugh 285. 3—Cassie Bahe, Gooding and Grantsville, Utah 267. 4—Bailey Gough, Gooding 207. 5—Emelia Millican, Gooding 198.5. 6—Cheyenne Logan, Jerome 182.
7—Anna Bahe, Gooding 154. 8—Jessy Faulkner, Gooding 145. 9—Savannah Fleming, Gooding 144. 10—Kylie Castle, Carey 99.5. 15—Whitnee Hurless, Fairfield 58.5. 19—Kali Castle, Carey 44. 24—Sarah Rau, Wood River and Bellevue 24.5. 27—Adriane McGuire, Corral 12. 31—Tayler Bosch, Wood River 6.
· All-around boys: 1—Cody Ruby, Valley and Stockton, Utah 209 points. 2—Wyatt Williams, Gooding 182. 3—Brody Smith, Valley and Oakley 160.5. 4—Cole Lickley, Jerome 131.5. 5—Pake-Os Palmer, Richfield 120.5. 6—Johnny Varin Pavkov, Gooding 84. 7—Garrett Mussmann, Valley and Murtaugh 73. 8—Jed Pierson, Gooding 66. 9—Matt Whitworth, Carey 61. 10—Tanner Ward, Richfield 60. 21—Gaje Moats, Wood River 9.
· Barrel racing: 1—Cheyenne Logan, Jerome 105 points. 8—Whitnee Hurless, Fairfield 38.5. 13—Sarah Rau, Wood River 17. 16—Kylie Castle, Carey 6. 23—Adriane McGuire, Corral 1.
· Breakaway roping: 1—Cassie Bahe, Gooding and Grantsville, Utah 93 points. 9—Kali Castle, Carey 27. 13—Whitnee Hurless, Fairfield 17. 14—Kylie Castle, Carey 12.
· Calf roping: 1—Wyatt Williams, Gooding 91 points. 7—Matt Whitworth, Carey 31.
· Goat tying: 1—Marlee Mussmann, Valley and Muraugh 102 points. 6—Kylie Castle, Carey 58.5. 11—Kali Castle, Carey 17. 14—Sarah Rau, Wood River 7.5. 15—Tayler Bosch, Wood River 6.
· Pole bending: 1—Bailey Gough, Gooding 80 points. 12—Kylie Castle, Carey 23. 16—Adriane McGuire, Corral 11. 22—Whitnee Hurless, Fairfield 3.
· Bull riding: 1—Colton Hunter, Jerome 30 points. 3—Gaje Moats, Wood River and Hailey 9.
· Steer wrestling: 1—Chance Hallinan, Valley and Pocatello 49 points.
· Saddle bronc: 1—Cody Ruby, Valley and Stockton, Utah 100 points.
· Bareback bronc: 1—Brody Smith, Valley and Oakley 90 points.
· Team roping: 1—Katelyn Perkins, Dietrich/Geneva and Wyatt Williams, Gooding 91 points. 9—Matt Whitworth, Carey 30.
· Girls cutting: 1—Jaycee Lancaster, Valley. 2—Jessica Anderson, Jerome. 3—Kendra Price, Wood River. 4—Tayler Bosch, Wood River.
· Boys cutting: 1—Luke Buck, Richfield. 2—Garrett Mussmann, Valley. 3—Brody Smith, Valley.