It was a busy day of tennis Tuesday at Sun Valley Tennis Club where the 3A Community School Cutthroats entertained two 4A Great Basin Conference teams for a full day of tennis in the sunshine.
“We had some great matches on the Sun Valley courts in glorious spring weather,” said coach Phil Huss of the Community School. “Can you imagine a better sport in better weather?”
He added, “There were hard-fought battles that went our way and some that did not, but this was exactly the competition we hoped for as we prepared for our district tournament and state.”
The Cutthroats played to a 6-6 tie with Wood River High School, and the host Cutthroats beat Canyon Ridge of Twin Falls by a 10-2 score with a sweep of the singles matches.
In the other dual meet, Canyon Ridge nipped Wood River 7-5—although the Wolverines won all six doubles matches and gave up a forfeit in the No. 3 girls’ singles spot.
Singles winners for the Cutthroats against Canyon Ridge were Willis Sanchez-duPont, George Everitt, Henry Everitt, Olivia Ott, Hannah Conn and Blair Baker.
The Cutthroats swept boys’ doubles with Doug DuFur-Dan DuFur and Roger Figge-Trenor Gould, and they won the No. 1 girls’ doubles and mixed doubles matches with Emily Siegel-Sam Busby and Reed Roudabush-Jolie Blair.
Wood River results from the two meets are listed in the summary that follows.
The Cutthroats continue home action today, Thursday with a meet against Mountain Home at 3:15 p.m. at Sun Valley Tennis Club, while Wood River marks its “Senior Day” today at 3:30 p.m. with matches against Burley on the high school courts in Hailey.
Results from Tuesday’s WRHS-Community School dual meet and the Wood River-Canyon Ridge tennis clash:
WRHS 6, Community
· Boys’ singles: 1—Danny Graves (WR) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3 over Willis Sanchez-duPont (CS). 2—Andrew Pearson (WR) 6-1, 6-2 over George Everitt (CS). 3—Henry Everitt (CS) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 over Drew Morse (WR).
· Girls’ singles: 1—Haley Cutler (WR) 6-3, 7-6 over Olivia Ott (CS). 2—Hannah Conn (CS) 6-1, 6-2 over Manuela Cortina-Otero (WR). 3—Blair Baker (CS) won by default.
· Boys’ doubles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer-Andrew Graves (WR) 6-2, 6-1 over Doug DuFur-Dan Fufur (CS). 2—Roger Figge-Trenor Gould (CS) 6-3, 6-2 over Miles Remington-Clay Cutler (WR).
· Girls’ doubles: 1—Alex Taylor-Tate Morell (WR) 6-1, 6-2 over Emily Siegel-Samantha Busby (CS). 2—Fernanda Lagunas-Cheyanne Stopol (WR) 6-2, 6-4 over Autumn Fluetsch-Isabelle Caraluzzi (CS).
· Mixed doubles: 1—Reed Roudabush-Jolie Blair (CS) 6-2, 6-3 over Brady Delgadillo-Josie Potts (WR). 2—Gavin Blair-Chloe Francois (CS) won by default.
Canyon Ridge 7, WRHS 5
· Boys’ singles: 1—Eric Lewis (CR) 6-1, 6-2 over Danny Graves (WR). 2—Aldo Cordova (CR) 6-4, 6-3 over Quinn Magner (WR). 3—Austin McEular (CR) 6-2, 6-2 over Wes Brimstein (WR).
· Girls’ singles: 1—Maddie Dahlquist (CR) 6-3, 6-2 over Megan Murphy (WR). 2—Catherine Harris (CR) 7-5, 6-2 over Manuela Cortina-Otero (WR). 3—Mari Flores (CR) won by default.
· Boys’ doubles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer-Andrew Graves (WR) 6-2, 6-0 over Ivan Kranje-Tristan Greaves (CR). 2—Miles Remington-Clay Cutler (WR) 6-4, 7-5 over Adam Clark-Dallin Romney (CR).
· Girls’ doubles: 1—Alex Taylor-Tate Morell (WR) 6-2, 6-0 over Tierra Lewis-Jessica Keeton (CR). 2—Fernanda Lagunas-Cheyanne Stopol (WR) 6-2, 7-6 over Selma Masie-Ashley Wolters (CR).
· Mixed doubles: 1—Andrew Pearson-Haley Cutler (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over Landon Davidson-Baylee Woody (CR). 2—Ryan Packham-Ashley Greco (CR) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 over Brady Delgadillo-Josie Potts (WR).