The Presidents’ Day holiday weekend was a busy one for Intermountain Division alpine ski racing.
Wild West Classic at Jackson Hole
There were 19 Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation racers in the field of 121 men and 86 women during the Elite Wild West Classic International Ski Federation (FIS) holiday weekend race series in Wyoming.
U-21 racer Kipling Weisel cracked the top 10 twice at Snow King Resort, finishing seventh overall in Saturday’s 113-racer giant slalom and fifth overall (3-U21) in Monday’s slalom.
U-18 Samantha Busby topped the SVSEF women by placing second overall of 81 starters and winning her age class in Sunday’s giant slalom. She was ninth overall and the second U-18 in Saturday’s GS.
U-21 Mackenzie Bachmeier moved twice into the top 10 with sixth overall in GS and ninth in slalom. She placed second in her class in the GS.
Top SVSEF class placings for the Wild West Classic:
· U-21 men: Kipling Weisel 4-GS (7th of 113 starters, 79 finishers overall), 3-SL (5th of 121 starters, 60 finishers overall); KJ Savaria 22-GS, DNF-SL; and Ben Kanellitsas 24-GS, DQ-SL.
· U-21 women: Mackenzie Bachmeier 7-GS, 2-GS (6th overall of 81 starters, 42 finishers), 4-SL (9th overall of 86 starters, 61 finishers); Amanda Stelling DNF-GS, 6-SL (12th overall); Linnea Baysinger 8-GS, 13-SL; and Karina Schwartznau DNF-GS, 10-SL.
· U-18 men: Stockton Troyer 29-GS, 7-SL; Taylor Cooper 14-GS, 11-SL; Tanner Josey 11-GS, 12-SL; Austin Savaria 22-GS, 16-SL; Jay Fitzgerald 25-GS, 19-SL; Trenor Gould 30-GS, 17-SL; and Montana Kurahara DQ-GS, 18-SL.
· U-18 women: Samantha Busby 2-GS (9th overall), 1-GS (2nd overall), 10-SL; Madison Milgard 11-GS, DNF-GS, 28-SL; Kyla Miller 18-SL; Haley Cutler 25-GS, 4-GS, 11-SL; and Jordan Fitzgerald 26-GS, 3-GS (13th overall), 17-SL.
U-14 qualifier at Snowbird
SVSEF alpine racers Charlie Stumph, Wyatt Minor, Bennett Snyder produced top results among 76 boys from Idaho, Utah and Montana.
Lily Fitzgerald, Molly Milgard and Ella Viesturs led the SVSEF girls among 94 female racers on the Utah slope.
Action took place Feb. 15-17 at Snowbird in Intermountain Division U-14 (ages 12-13) technical races featuring 21 SVSEF racers in the 170-racer field.
Top SVSEF class finishes by race were:
· U-14 boys: Wyatt Minor 4-SL, 9-SL, 5-GS; Charlie Stumph 5-SL, DQ-SL, 2-GS; Bennett Snyder 7-SL, 13-SL, 14-GS; Logan Chai 13-SL, 16-SL, 22-GS; Ethan Daves 15-SL, 29-SL, 30-GS; William Everitt 32-SL, 43-SL, 45-GS; Jake Blackburn DQ-SL, 15-SL, DNF-GS; Jackson Swenke 53-SL, 60-SL, 58-GS; James Mahedy DNF-SL, 59-SL, DNF-GS; Matt O’Connor DQ-SL, 28-SL, DNF-GS; and Benjamin Travers 50-SL, 55-SL, DNF-GS.
· U-14 girls: Lily Fitzgerald 6-SL, 4-SL, 8-GS; Molly Milgard 7-SL, 7-SL, 5-GS; Ella Viesturs 9-SL, 6-SL, 15-GS; Allison Rathfon 19-SL, 22-SL, 13-GS; Sophia Mazzoni 20-SL, 65-SL, 32-GS; Libby Kaiser DNF-SL, 14-SL, 10-GS; Madison Ferris DNF-SL, 15-SL, 30-GS; Lucy More 36-SL, 70-SL, 57-GS; Molly Kucher 57-SL, 67-SL, 66-GS; Miriam Gilman 59-SL, 82-SL, 64-GS; and Lauren Baty DNF-SL, 83-SL, 84-GS.
SVSEF Alpine Gold Team
U.S. Ski Team racer Tanner Farrow, 20, is regaining form in his recovery from a serious hamstring injury last season.
Farrow skied to fifth place overall and was the second American in a Nor-Am Cup downhill at Mont Ste. Anne, Quebec, Canada last week. SVSEF Gold Teamers Kipling Weisel finished 30th and 40th in the field of 74 downhillers. In another Nor-Am downhill in Quebec, Farrow was seventh, 1.07 seconds behind the winner. Weisel and Savaria placed 27-29.
The previous week in Nor-Am gate races at Stowe, Vt., Farrow placed 16th slalom, 23rd and 32nd in giant slalom. Weisel, 18, pulled off three top-30 finishes at Stowe with a high of 23rd place in slalom.
Freeskiers at Park City
Bringing home hardware from a freeskiing competition last weekend at Park City, Utah were these SVSEF Freestyle team members:
Eli Roberts—third in his age group and second overall halfpipe;
Will Griffith—third age group in slopestyle;
Noah Hecht—second in age group in slopestyle;
Trey Potter—second in age group in pipe, third slopestyle;
Chris Pederson—second in age group for pipe and slopestyle;
Hannah Blackwell—second in age group for pipe and slopestyle.