Stepping up a class and still excelling, Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation racer Samantha Busby captured the combined girls’ title of the 24th annual Laura Flood Memorial Sunday on Baldy.
The International Ski Federation (FIS) Intermountain Cup giant slalom and slalom races for A, U-21 and U-18 classes were staged Friday (giant slalom) and Sunday (slalom) on Cozy, Hemingway and Greyhawk runs.
Saturday’s scheduled racing was canceled by the Flying Squirrel structure fire.
Busby, 16, last year’s combined winner of the Cheeso Memorial U-16 (ages 14-15) tech races on Baldy, moved up to the U-18 (16-17) Laura Flood Memorial races this year. She won Sunday’s slalom on Cozy and placed second of 25 women in Friday’s GS.
Men’s Laura Flood combined champion was Ralf Carestia, 17, of the Park City (Utah) Ski Foundation. On a first page stocked with U-21 racers in Sunday’s Cozy slalom, U-18 Carestia finished fourth overall of 48 starters to go with his 11th place (5-U18) in Friday’s giant slalom.
SVSEF racers numbered 23 in the field of 74 men and women. Other top results: Haley Cutler third overall (2-U18) in giant slalom; U-21 Mackenzie Bachmeier winning Friday’s GS by .74 seconds; U-21 Amanda Stelling making the podium in third place of slalom; and U-21 Ben Kanellitsas and U-18 Jay Fitzgerald placing 5-6 overall in Friday’s GS.
Linnea Baysinger and Ben Kanellitsas of the SVSEF just returned from Europe where they posted solid results.
Baysinger finished in the top 10 of three of her five races including sixth in GS and seventh in SL in Switzerland. Kanellitsas recorded a career-best slalom result of 20th place in Italy for his FIS rankings, and added a 19th place in GS.
Another SVSEF racer, Tanner Farrow, started 48th in a giant slalom at Madonna de Campiglio, Italy and finished ninth, the Top American.
Top SVSEF class placings for the Flood Memorial:
· U-21 men: Ben Kanellitsas 4-GS (5th overall), 7-SL.
· U-21 women: Mackenzie Bachmeier 1-GS (1st overall), 4-SL; Amanda Stelling 2-GS (5th overall), 1-SL (3rd overall); Linnea Baysinger 3-GS (6th overall), 2-SL (5th overall); Karina Schwartznau 6-SL.
· U-18 men: Taylor Cooper 2-SL; Jay Fitzgerald 2-GS; Montana Kurahara 4-GS, 12-SL; Trenor Gould 11-GS, 10-SL; Stockton Troyer 6-GS; Austin Savaria 8-GS; Hunter Kern 13-SL; Emmett Say 14-SL. DNFs included Griffin Curtis, Tanner Riedel, Marc Leroux, Payton Anderson and Tanner Josey.
· U-18 women: Samantha Busby 1-GS (2nd overall), 1-SL (1st overall); Haley Cutler 2-GS (3rd overall), 6-SL; Kyla Miller 4-SL; Jordan Fitzgerald 5-GS, 7-SL; Olivia Wentzell 9-GS, 9-SL; Madison Milgard 6-GS.
Cheeso Memorial results
Andrew Miller of the Park City Ski Team and Hannah West of Utah’s Rowmark Ski Academy captured combined honors of Cheeso Memorial U-16 qualifying races Friday and Sunday on Baldy.
Miller placed second of 58 starters in Friday’s Cheeso slalom on Cozy and won Sunday’s GS by nearly three seconds. West was the girls’ runner-up in Friday’s SL and fifth-place GS finisher out of 55 girls on Sunday.
There were 23 SVSEF racers in the 113-racer field led by Will Snyder, Yuri McClure, Sebastian Mastor, Katelyn Rathfon, Royce Rheinschild and Margot Griffith.
Top SVSEF class placings for the series:
· U-16 boys: Will Snyder 3-GS, 3-SL; Yuri McClure 2-GS; Sebastian Mastor 11-GS, 4-SL; Cooper Dart 8-GS, 16-SL; Duncan Fuller 10-GS, 10-SL; Wyatt Smith 16-GS, 11-SL; Noah Leininger 20-GS, 13-SL; Kristian DeWolfe 17-GS; John Blackburn 19-GS; Blake Deilke 27-GS, 29-SL; Mac Mizer 38-GS, 26-SL; Keegan Webber 40-GS. Also racing was John Garrett.
· U-16 girls: Margot Griffith 13-GS; Maddox Ormiston 21-GS, 18-SL; Riley Revallier 23-GS; Katelyn Rathfon 8-SL; Royce Rheinschild 11-SL; Libby Lindstrom 26-GS, 22-SL; Bailey Holter 23-SL; Carolina Mahedy 34-SL. Also racing were Ava Mazzoni and Sage Rheinschild.
Sean Nurse Memorial at Snow King
Twenty-one SVSEF alpine kids in U-14 (ages 12-13) classes competed in the three-day Sean Nurse Memorial technical races Friday through Sunday on Elk and Cougar runs at Snow King Resort in Jackson Hole, Wyo.
Libby Kaiser (4-GS), Lily Fitzgerald (5-SL) and Ella Viesturs (6-SL) led the way for Sun Valley in the 90-racer girls’ field. The Sun Valley trio of Jake Blackburn, Charlie Stumph and Wyatt Minor placed 2-3-4 in the 71-racer boys’ GS Saturday, and Bennett Snyder podiumed with a third place in slalom Sunday.
Top SVSEF class placings for the series:
· U-14 boys: Jake Blackburn 2-GS; Charlie Stumph 3-GS; Wyatt Minor 4-GS, 4-SL; Bennett Snyder 8-GS, 3-SL; Logan Chai 16-GS, 16-SL; Matt O’Connor 18-GS; William Everitt 38-GS; Ethan Daves 39-GS, 34-SL; Benjamin Travers 47-GS, 38-SL; James Mahedy 58-GS, 49-SL; Jackson Swenke 61-GS.
· U-14 girls: Libby Kaiser 4-GS, 14-SL; Lily Fitzgerald 14-GS, 5-SL; Ella Viesturs 11-GS, 6-SL; Molly Milgard 7-GS, 9-SL; Madison Ferris 8-GS, 13-SL; Allison Rathfon 18-GS, 24-SL; Sophia Mazzoni 30-GS, 31-SL; Lucy More 41-GS, 62-SL; Miriam Gilman 56-GS; Molly Kucher 55-GS, 60-SL.