Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WRAP to host biathlon

Shooting and racing event will be July 1


By BRENNAN REGO
Express Staff Writer

    The Wood River Ability Program plans to add a special event to this year’s Ride Sun Valley Bike Festival—a biathlon on July 1 for both runners and mountain bikers. The biathlon will be open to both able-bodied and disabled competitors for a $10 entry fee (to cover the insurance necessary to hold an event that combines shooting and racing).
    The event will be open to spectators free of charge, though WRAP will be accepting donations from those who feel the event is worth contributing to. After expenses, 60 percent of donations will go to WRAP, and the remaining 40 percent will go to the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation’s and WRAP’s official U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site.
    “Recently, there has been renewed biathlon interest in Sun Valley,” WRAP Director Marc Mast said. “It’s our hope that this event will spur further interest that will eventually lead to the establishment of a biathlon range in the valley.”
    Mast said that nationally, biathlons are becoming more popular.
    “Now is a great time for us to jump on board in order to stay ahead of the curve and hopefully bring more visitors to our valley by creating a new recreation opportunity,” he said.
    The course will be an approximately one-kilometer loop near the River Run base area. Racers will bike or run four laps and shoot three separate times. Each shooting stage will require five shots. For each shot a biathlete misses, he or she will have to complete an approximately 100-meter penalty lap.
    Mast said two Olympian biathletes, Rob Rosser and Jon Engen, will host a shooting clinic that day at 2:30 p.m. The race will start between 4:30 and 5 p.m., depending on the number of last-minute registrations. WRAP asks that those interested in competing RSVP to Mast at 720-7254 or marc@woodriverabilityprogram.org.




About Comments

Comments with content that seeks to incite or inflame may be removed.

Comments that are in ALL CAPS may be removed.

Comments that are off-topic or that include profanity or personal attacks, libelous or other inappropriate material may be removed from the site. Entries that are unsigned or contain signatures by someone other than the actual author may be removed. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or any other policies governing this site. Use of this system denotes full acceptance of these conditions. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

The comments below are from the readers of mtexpress.com and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing, Inc.

You may flag individual comments. You may also report an inappropriate or offensive comment by clicking here.

Flagging Comments: Flagging a comment tells a site administrator that a comment is inappropriate. You can find the flag option by pointing the mouse over the comment and clicking the 'Flag' link.

Flagging a comment is only counted once per person, and you won't need to do it multiple times.

Proper Flagging Guidelines: Every site has a different commenting policy - be sure to review the policy for this site before flagging comments. In general these types of comments should be flagged:

  • Spam
  • Ones violating this site's commenting policy
  • Clearly unrelated
  • Personal attacks on others
Comments should not be flagged for:
  • Disagreeing with the content
  • Being in a dispute with the commenter

Popular Comment Threads



 Local Weather 
Search archives:


Copyright © 2020 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.