“The Roaring Twenties” was the tournament theme for The Valley Club’s Wildflower Women’s Member-Guest golf tournament Aug. 7-9.
Golf shop staff was decked out in “Twenties” attire for the entire three-day event. And the players dressed up in “Twenties” garb for the Wednesday night skills contests, held just before the kick-off dinner.
What’s more, the skills contests featured a chipping contest during which the contestants used hickory-shafted clubs supplied by Director of Golf Stoney Brown.
New overall champions carding the lowest 36-hole net score were member Sue Fuller and guest Mary Rolland.
They capped a first-round score of 64 with a brilliant 16-under-par 56 for a two-day total of 120 net and a two-stroke win. And they earned special crystal pieces for their victory.
Fuller and Rolland led a full field of 88 players on the 44 two-person teams.
Barb and Jean Smith (148) repeated as low gross winners in the Champagne Cocktail Flight. Other low gross champs were Joan O’Neil and Tori Hazelrig, and JoAnn Stevens and Julie Thompson.
Net winners by flight were Gail Landis and Mary Jane Burns, Joanne Wetherell and Karen Miller, Mary Louise Sedin and Camille DuPuis.
Tournament format was two-person better ball with three flights represented—flights based on combined handicaps. Each flight crowned a net and gross champ.
The top three net and gross places in each flight received crystal bowls. Scorecard matches using U.S.G.A. methods broke any ties.
The tournament included special contests:
· Straightest drives Friday: For members, Jeanne Mace (North No. 1), Gail Thornton (South No. 1) and Barbara Thrasher (North No. 9), and for guests, Jeanne Welch (North No. 1), Susan Countner (South No. 1) and Chris Kraatz (North No. 9).
· Closest to the hole Thursday: Handicap 16-25 on South No. 2—Gundl Haskell 9 feet, 8 inches member; Marilyn Hoffman 7 feet, 6 inches guest. Handicap 26-36 on South No. 6—Frannie Papworth 12 feet, 8 inches member; Camille DuPuis 28 feet, 10 inches guest. Handicap 0-15 on North No. 7—Susan Lovett 5 feet, 8 inches member; Jean Smith 2 feet, 6 inches guest.
· Chipping and putting Wednesday: Members—Janet Teagle 1 foot, 7 inches chipping, and Martina Bradford 10 putts. Guests—Martha Arrington 1 inch chipping, and Jean Smith 12 putts.
Here are the top flight results, with club members listed first for each twosome:
· Champagne Cocktail Flight: 1st net—Gail Landis and Mary Jane Burns 127. 2nd net—Janet Teagle and Arlene Herich 130. 3rd net—Gina Wolcott and Mary Tweed 133.
1st gross—Barb Smith and Jean Smith 148. 2nd gross—Britt Palmedo and Kathy Jones 154. 3rd gross—Susan Lovett and Sally Spilman 162.
· Mint Julep Flight: 1st net—Joanne Wetherell and Karen Miller 122. 2nd net—Nancy Youngman and Mindy Grubbs 125. 3rd net—Julie Schultz and Joy Spradling 129.
1st gross—Joan O’Neil and Tori Hazelrig 162. 2nd gross—Elma Cannavino and Holly Stewart 165. 3rd gross—Gail Thornton and Georgie Fenton 171.
· Gin Rickey Flight: 1st net—Mary Louise Sedin and Camille DuPuis 126. 2nd net—Sherry St. Clair and Mollie Campbell 132. 3rd net—Frannie Papworth and Terry Smith 132.
1st gross—JoAnn Stevens and Julie Thompson 173. 2nd gross—Gundl Haskell and Heather Haskell 175. 3rd gross—Carole LeMense and Martha Arrington 176.