Wood River and Community School prep tennis players burned the midnight oil and had some terrific matches that went down to the wire under the lights Tuesday in Hailey.
The final match score favoring host Wood River 7-5 boiled down to the two mixed doubles matches, both settled in third-set super tiebreakers. The Wolverine boys and girls each defeated the Cutthroats 3.5-2.5.
It couldn’t have been closer in No. 1 mixed. Wood River’s Taylor Cooper and Tate Morell snuck past Nick Wright and Hannah Dies of the Community School 7-6, 6-7, 10-8. Nearly as tight was No. 2 mixed, with Cutthroats Trenor Gould and Sydney Hagenbuch winning 6-2, 4-6, 10-8 over Miles Remington and Aubrey Brassil.
Showing her versatility, Cutthroat sophomore Hagenbuch turned around Wednesday and competed for her school at the Northside Conference track and field meet on the ISDB oval in Gooding.
Hagenbuch, a State 1A Division 2 qualifier last May, won Wednesday’s 400-meter dash by nearly 16 seconds in 1.06:00, and she placed fourth in the 200m dash with a 29:54 time.
In another Tuesday tennis match, Wood River’s boys and girls posted 5.5-0.5 victories over Burley’s boys and girls for an 11-1 Great Basin Conference team outcome. The only match to go into split sets was Stephen Pfeiffer’s 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 success over Burley’s Angel Anguiano in No. 1 boys’ singles.
Coming up: Wood River hosts Twin Falls on Tuesday, April 16, while the Cutthroats are planning to play in a Twin Falls tournament on Saturday.
WRHS 7, Comm. School 5
- Boys’ singles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer (WR) 7-6, 6-3 over Daniel DuFur (CS). 2—Willis Sanchez-duPont (CS) 6-0, 6-0 over Chase Hutchinson (WR). 3—Doug DuFur (CS) 6-1, 6-0 over Michael Niedrich (WR).
- Girls’ singles: 1—Olivia Ott (CS) 6-3, 6-4 over Lily Richards (WR). 2—Alex Feldman (WR) 6-2, 6-0 over Blair Baker (CS). 3—Hannah Conn (CS) 7-5, 3-6, 10-1 over Reyna Kelly (WR).
- Boys’ doubles: 1—Cole Caminiti-Josh Morell (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over Henry Everitt-Roger Figge (CS). 2—Erik Wilander-Danny Graves (WR) 6-4, 6-3 over Ethan Kjesbo-Reed Roudabush (CS).
- Girls’ doubles: 1—Margaret Reutter-Haley Cutler (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over Erin Hennessy-Jolie Blair (CS). 2—Alex Taylor-Samantha Taylor (WR) 6-1, 6-0 over Isabel Kirk-Marliegh Poulsen (CS).
- Mixed doubles: 1—Taylor Cooper-Tate Morell (WR) 7-6, 6-7, 10-8 over Nick Wright-Hannah Dies (CS). 2—Trenor Gould-Sydney Hagenbuch (CS) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8 over Miles Remington-Audrey Brassil (WR).
WRHS 11, Burley 1
- Boys’ singles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer (WR) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 over Angel Anguiano (B). 2—Chase Hutchinson (WR) 6-4, 6-0 over B. Downs (B). 3—Michael Niedrich (WR) 6-1, 6-4 over E. Heiner (B).
- Girls’ singles: 1—Lily Richards (WR) 6-1, 6-0 over B. Pope (B). 2—Alex Feldman (WR) 6-0, 6-1 over L. Woodland (B). 3—Reyna Kelly (WR) by default.
- Boys’ doubles: 1—Cole Caminiti-Josh Morell (WR) 6-1, 6-1 over Jaxon Greener-Brandon Bean (B). 2—Erik Wilander-Danny Graves (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over Z. Contreras-E. Marin (B).
- Girls’ doubles: 1—Margaret Reutter-Haley Cutler (WR) 7-5, 6-3 over H. Masoner-Kaci Carpenter (B). 2—Alex Taylor-Samantha Taylor (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over S. Spackman-K. Masoner (B).
- Mixed doubles: 1—Brandon Hosteen-Lexi Crane (B) 6-2, 6-4 over Miles Remington-Audrey Brassil (WR). 2—Taylor Cooper-Tate Morell (WR) 6-0, 6-3 over Cody Milward-B. Geary (B).