Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation alpine racers wound down from a productive International Ski Federation (FIS) season during recent events in Mammoth Mountain, Ca. and at Utah’s Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort.
Eight SVSEF U-18 (ages 16-17) racers took part in the FIS Speed Series of downhill and super giant slalom races April 5-8 at Mammoth.
Kipling Weisel led the way for the boys with a series of consistent finishes topped by U-18 class wins in Friday and Saturday’s downhills. Not far behind was KJ Savaria with a pair of downhill podiums.
There were 74 men and 26 in the Mammoth races. Sun Valley’s Linnea Baysinger climbed the U-18 podium twice with second- and third-place SG results. Kyla Miller just missed a U-18 podium at fourth in DH.
Down at Snowbird April 6-8 for the three Snow Cup Last Chance slalom events were 30 SVSEF racers, mostly in the U-16 and U-14 classes, out of the field of 105 men and 85 women.
Haley Cutler, 11th in giant slalom and 13th slalom at the U-16 National Championships April 3-4 at Park City, Utah, continued her hot skiing with a U-16 class victory good for fourth place overall of 53 two-run finishers in Saturday’s slalom opener at Park City.
Taylor Cooper podiumed twice with second-place U-16 men’s results in the weekend slaloms, and with a third place in Monday’s slalom finale.
Will Snyder and Austin Savaria climbed the stairs with third-place U-16 results on Wilbere Ridge Race Hill. SVSEF placings by race and age class for the recent events:
FIS Speed Series
- U-18 women: Linnea Baysinger 6-DH (11th overall), 10-DH (10th overall), 2-SG (6th overall), 3-SG (7th overall); and Kyla Miller 5-DH (8th overall), 4-DH (7th overall), 6-SG (10th overall), 5-SG (9th overall).
- U-18 men:.Kipling Weisel 1-DH (16th overall), 1-DH (14th overall), 3-SG, 5-SG; KJ Savaria 3-DH (20th overall), 2-DH (16th overall), 4-SG, 12-SG; Ben Kanellitsas 13-DH (36th overall), 18-DH, DNF-SGs; Tanner Josey 15-DH (42nd overall), 17-DH, 18-SG, 14-SG; William Harder DNF-DH, 11-DH (38th overall), 11-SG (37th overall), 13-SG; and Payton Anderson 24-DH, 21-SG, 21-SG.
Last Chance slaloms
- U-21 women: Taylor Gilliam DQ-SL, 3-SL, DNF-SL.
( U-16 girls: Haley Cutler 1-SL (4th overall), 6-SL (12th overall); Samantha Busby 3-SL (7th overall), 4-SL (8th overall); Olivia Wentzell 8-SL (13th overall), 14-SL, 11-SL; Margot Griffith 9-SL (14th overall), 10-SL, 15-SL; Alexandra Black 19-SL, 17-SL, DQ-SL; Grace Palmer 22-SL, 26-SL, DNF-SL; Carolina Mahedy DNF-SL, 29-SL, DNF-SL; and Josie Allison DNF-SL, DNF-SL, 12-SL.
- U-16 boys: Taylor Cooper 2-SL (7th overall), 2-SL (12th overall), 3-SL (9th overall); Austin Savaria 3-SL (9th overall), 4-SL (15th overall), DNF-SL; Will Snyder 4-SL (10th overall), 3-SL (13th overall), 7-SL; Yuri McClure 11-SL, 12-SL, 24-SL; Griffin Curtis 13-SL, 17-SL; Jay Fitzgerald DNF-SL, 8-SL, DNF-SL; Emmett Say 15-SL, 10-SL, 9-SL; Wyatt Smith 26-SL, 26-SL, 20-SL; Gavin Shipley DQ-SL, 20-SL, DNF-SL; John Blackburn 28-SL, 22-SL, DNF-SL; Patrick Riedinger DNF-SL, 24-SL, DNF-SL; Stockton Troyer DNF-SL, DNF-SL, DNF-SL; Trenor Gould DNF-SL, DNF-SL, 11-SL; and Tanner Riedel DQ-SL, DNF-SL, 5-SL (14th overall).
- U-14 girls: Katelyn Rathfon 2-SL (16th overall), DNF-SL, DNF-SL; Sage Rheinschild DQ-SL, 5-SL, DQ-SL; Riley Revallier 14-SL, 14-SL, 9-SL; Bailey Holter DQ-SL, 20-SL, 14-SL; and Libby Lindstrom DNF-SL, 24-SL, 15-SL.
- U-14 boys: Noah Leininger 12-SL, 10-SL, DNF-SL; and Cooper Dart 18-SL, DNF-SL, 8-SL.