Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation U-16 alpine racer Taylor Cooper ripped off a second-place slalom finish in Sunday’s David Wright Memorial finale on Picabo’s Run at Park City (Utah) Mountain Resort.
Cooper and fifth-place U-16 (ages 14-15) Will Snyder posted encouraging results on a course that claimed 29 of the 75 starters. The SVSEF put five racers in the top 10—the others Austin Savaria (11th), Trenor Gould (13th) and Tanner Riedel (17th class, 19th overall).
Stockton Troyer led the 16-racer Sun Valley boys’ traveling team in giant slalom with sixth and sevenths in U-16.
In the women’s races for 74 U-18 and U-16 racers including 10 from the SVSEF, Samantha Busby narrowly missed the podium with fourth place in Saturday’s giant slalom, and Royce Rheinschild had the top SVSEF slalom finish, 16th.
The Wright Memorial finalized the Intermountain Division team that has qualified for the U-16 Championships (SG, GS, SL) March 19-23 at Alyeska, Alaska. Sun Valley claimed 14 of the 47 IMD spots (30% of the entire team) and also had five of the 10 alternates to the team.
Head U-16 coach Scott McGrew said, “The team has a very strong showing. Taking 30% of the quota is a huge statement, considering the size of our community.”
- IMD girls’ qualifiers from Sun Valley—Samantha Busby, Haley Cutler, Madison Milgard and Royce Rheinschild. Alternates are Josie Allison, Alexandra Black, Olivia Wentzell and Margot Griffith.
- IMD boys’ qualifiers—Taylor Cooper, Austin Savaria, Stockton Troyer, Jay Fitzgerald, Will Snyder, Yuri McClure, Trenor Gould, Emmett Say, Duncan Fuller and Tanner Riedel. Alternate is Griffin Curtis.
Top David Wright Memorial class placings for SVSEF racers in each discipline at Park City:
- U-16 girls: Samantha Busby 4-GS, DNF-SL; Haley Cutler 8-GS, DNF-SL; Royce Rheinschild 16-GS, 16-SL; Margot Griffith 20-GS, DNF-SL; Josie Allison 24-GS, 21-SL; Olivia Wentzell 27-GS, 17-SL; Alexandra Black 32-GS, 24-SL; Grace Palmer 49-GS, DNF-SL; Madison Milgard DNF-GS, 20-SL; Carolina Mahedy DNF-GS, DNF-SL.
- U-16 boys: Stockton Troyer 6-GS, DNF-SL; Jay Fitzgerald 10-GS, DNF-SL; Taylor Cooper 14-GS, 2-SL; Tanner Riedel 13-GS, 17-SL; Will Snyder 14-GS, 5-SL; Emmett Say 15-GS, 22-SL; Austin Savaria 16-GS, 11-SL; Duncan Fuller 19-GS, 20-SL; Griffin Curtis 23-GS, DNF-SL; Trenor Gould 27-GS, 13-SL; Wyatt Smith 26-GS, 26-SL; John Blackburn 31-GS, DNF-SL; Gavin Shipley 35-GS, DNF-SL; Patrick Riedinger 37-GS, DNF-SL; Travis Flynt 47-GS, 35-SL; Yuri McClure DNF-GS, DNF-SL.
Rathfon wins twice at Snowbasin
Katelyn Rathfon clocked a pair of healthy winning margins Friday and Saturday during the USSA Intermoutain Division U-14 (ages 12-13) super giant slalom qualifying races at Snowbasin, Utah. She won by 1.98 and 1.38 seconds over teammate Sage Rheinschild.
SVSEF racer Cooper Dart also podiumed with a third place of 69 two-run finishers in Saturday’s men’s SG qualifier. In all, there were 96 girls and 74 boys from Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. Here are top SG placings for the 21 SVSEF kids:
- U-14 girls: 1—Katelyn Rathfon. 2—Sage Rheinschild. 5—Molly Milgard. 11—Pilar Pennell. 17—Libby Kaiser. 23—Bailey Holter. 30—Ella Viesturs. 39—Libby Lindstrom. 46—Riley Revallier. 50—Kaia Jensen. 57—Lucy More. 71—Ari Chutkan.
- U-14 boys: 3—Cooper Dart. 8—Jake Blackburn. 11—Noah Leininger. 19—Mac Mizer. 20—Ethan Daves. 37—Charlie Stumph and Matt O’Connor. 39—Keegan Webber. 69—James Mahedy.