Friday, February 8, 2013

Ketchum LOT up

Hotel tax receipts climb nearly 49 percent


    Ketchum’s January local-option tax receipts, which reflect purchases made in December, suggest the city’s businesses saw slightly more activity this holiday season than they did last year.
     Ketchum charges a 2 percent sales tax on lodging and by-the-glass liquor sales, and a 1 percent tax on retail sales and building materials. Because the city imposes the LOT on its main business categories, the tax is seen as one way to gauge the health of the local economy.
     Ketchum collected nearly $249,000 in LOT receipts this January, compared to about $224,000 last January—an increase of $24,717, or 11 percent.
     In the lodging category, hotel and motel room receipts were up nearly 49 percent and condominium receipts were up about 19 percent, totaling about $5,555 and just under $17,000, respectively. Liquor receipts were up 5 percent, totaling about $22,750, and building material receipts were up almost 6 percent, totaling about $24,000. Lastly, “other retail receipts” were up nearly 11 percent, totaling just over $178,000.
    Total LOT receipts reflecting transactions made in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 (October, November and December) were up 5.6 percent, or just over $23,700, compared to the first quarter of the previous fiscal year. All in all, the city has collected about $440,400 in LOT receipts for purchases made in the first quarter of this fiscal year.
    At a City Council meeting Monday, Mayor Randy Hall said this year’s holiday LOT receipts are the highest they’ve been since 2008.
    “It’s bound to be a relief for all the entrepreneurs and business owners in town,” he said.


Brennan Rego: brego@mtexpress.com




About Comments

Comments with content that seeks to incite or inflame may be removed.

Comments that are in ALL CAPS may be removed.

Comments that are off-topic or that include profanity or personal attacks, libelous or other inappropriate material may be removed from the site. Entries that are unsigned or contain signatures by someone other than the actual author may be removed. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or any other policies governing this site. Use of this system denotes full acceptance of these conditions. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

The comments below are from the readers of mtexpress.com and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing, Inc.

You may flag individual comments. You may also report an inappropriate or offensive comment by clicking here.

Flagging Comments: Flagging a comment tells a site administrator that a comment is inappropriate. You can find the flag option by pointing the mouse over the comment and clicking the 'Flag' link.

Flagging a comment is only counted once per person, and you won't need to do it multiple times.

Proper Flagging Guidelines: Every site has a different commenting policy - be sure to review the policy for this site before flagging comments. In general these types of comments should be flagged:

  • Spam
  • Ones violating this site's commenting policy
  • Clearly unrelated
  • Personal attacks on others
Comments should not be flagged for:
  • Disagreeing with the content
  • Being in a dispute with the commenter

Popular Comment Threads



 Local Weather 
Search archives:


Copyright © 2020 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.