Telemarkers find their way down Cozy
Snow conditions were great, but the visibility was marginal for Saturday’s Sun Valley Tele Series all-terrain and all-conditions race on Baldy's Upper Cozy ski run.
Men’s Open winner was Jon Andersen and Women’s Elite winner was Jen King for the opening event of the 33rd annual Sun Valley Tele Series presented by Scott.
Next planned race is the Rotarun Ripper Friday, Feb. 8 at Hailey’s Rotarun Ski Area. Results from Saturday:
· Men’s Sport Class: 1—Jon Andersen 128.79. 2—Nick Smith 146.74. 3—Bert Witsil 171.61. 4—Paul Holle 216.83.
· Women’s Elite Class: 1—Jen King 149.94. 2—Simone Kastner 150.49. 3—Colleen Mauro 161.16.
· Men’s Elite Class: 1—Kyle Livingston 140.05. 2—Brenden Coyle 154.93.
· Women’s Snowboard: 1—Amber Marsh 157.20. 2—Brynn Clemons 169.69.
· Men’s Snowboard: 1—Frank Stanton 132.78. 2—Kevin McCann 147.28.
PeeWee hockey goes 2-2 in home tourney
It was a successful weekend for Sun Valley Youth Hockey’s PeeWee (ages 11-12) hockey team during its six-team home tournament Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 25-26 at Sun Valley Skating Center.
The young Suns went 2-2 and dropped their final game in a Sunday shootout after tying the Boise Hawks 2-2 in regulation. Goalie Andrew Nelson (18 saves) led the Suns in their final game. Scoring in regulation were Klayton Douthit (assist to Barrett Ott) and Ott (Flynn Stewart). Ott and Luke Marcouiller scored shootout goals.
Sun Valley (22-14 goals-against) also defeated Salmon 12-0, lost 6-2 to Park City (Utah) and edged Jackson Hole (Wyo.) with Nelson making 26 saves in the goal. Against Jackson Hole, Paxton Bunting scored twice for the winners. In all, 11 different Sun Valley players scored goals in the four games.
Weekend SV scoring: Barrett Ott (3 goals/5 assists), Luke Marcouiller (3/4), Paxton Bunting (3/3), Ike Buxton (3/2), Sam Ballard (3/1), Flynn Stewart (1/2), Jamie Rollerson (2/0), Tiernan Naghsh (1/1), Klayton Douthit (1/1), Sam Laski (1/1), Luke Worst (1/1) and Teagan McAvoy (0/2). Also skating was Sam Fenn. Nelson made 64 saves in three games.
YMCA is running the Sun Valley Half Marathon
Race director Brad Mitchell has announced the Wood River YMCA will be managing the Sun Valley Half Marathon, 10-kilometer and 5k runs, starting with the June 1, 2013 event.
Offered at the YMCA, on Thursday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m., is a training program informational meeting. Complete details will be explained for the 16-week and 12-week training programs starting Feb. 7 and March 9 that will lead up to the event. Attend on Thursday night and you’ll receive a $10 training program discount.
Entry fees start with the early sign-up cost of $60 for the half marathon, $40 for 10k, and $30 for 5K. Early pricing ends April 28. Registration is currently open through the Y by calling 727-9622 or by going to the Web site at woodriverymca.org and registering online. Call the Y at 727-9622 for more details. Race volunteers are also being sought.
Squirts hockey at Salmon
Sun Valley Squirts (ages 9-10) youth hockey players went 2-1-1 and placed fifth of 10 teams during a four-state tournament at Salmon last weekend. The young Suns (18-11 goals-against) downed Missoula (Mt.) 11-1 for fifth place after beating Boise Hawks 2-1 and tying Jackson Hole (Wyo.) Black 3-3. Goalie Dakota Davis (41 saves) played three games and Colby Speth (9 saves) one.
Weekend SV scorers: Colby Speth (6 goals/0 assists), Deke Burrell (5/1), DJ Gralenski (2/0), Caelin Bradshaw (2/0), Owen Miller (1/1), Lachlan Smith (1/1), Slater Whitehead (1/0) and Ashton Tanner (1/0). Also on the travel team were Jake Charpentier, Alex Lengyel, Seamus O’Connell and Lola Randolph.
Indoor track meet in Nampa
Team High Altitude runners from the Wood River Valley competed Jan. 25-26 in the Jacksons Invitational/New Balance Indoor Track and Field meet at The Idaho Center in Nampa. Top placings/events:
9—Chase England 2-mile (10:15.19) behind winner Elijah Armstrong of Pocatello (9:22.01) in the 29-runner field. 14—Janel Passey 800 (2:37.41). 19—Ty Reinemann 800 (2:11.48). 22—Alexis Gonzalez 2-mile (10:49.19). 33—Amanda Passey 1-mile (6:21.28). 34—Hallie MacPherson 1-mile (6:26.34).
B, B+ hockey takes a holiday
Here are results from Sunday’s B, B+ Hockey League games at Sun Valley Skating Center. The league will be taking a two-week holiday, resuming action Sunday, Feb. 17:
· Aardvarks (6-3-2) got a three-goal hat trick from Clark Shafer and beat Vipers (6-5-0) by a score of 3-2. Aardvarks assists went to Josh Green (2) and Dillon Witmer. John Ellison Jr. and Dan Gralenski scored for Vipers, with assists to Jim Laski, Biche Rudigoz and Scott Seaward.
· Hutch’s Bad Dogs (5-4-2) defeated Flounders (3-5-1) by a score of 6-4. Scoring two goals each for Hutch’s were Whit Atkinson, Brad Musbach and John Ellison Jr. Credited with assists were Curtis Martin (2) and Baba Street. Flounders goals came from Jim Slanetz, John Baker (1 assist), Eric Kafka and Chris Salvatierra. Chris Peterson had an assist.
· Rockets (5-5-1) blanked Sharks (5-6-0) by a 4-0 count. Scoring for the winners were Salvatierra (2), Shaun Kelly (1 assist) and Kevin Lenane. Ken Pratt dished out a pair of assists and Ned Burns had one.