It was a big weekend on Dollar Mountain for four days of snowboard racing hosted by the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation. Over 100 riders came from 12 states—ranging from New Jersey to large crowds from Utah and Idaho.
Sun Valley Resort was the first stop on the new United States of America Snowboard Association (USASA) Big Mountain West Snowboard Series. And there were seven events run over the four days.
Biggest event was Saturday’s slopestyle with 115 competitors. Two heats of boardercross and skiercross attracted 54 and 75. The slalom had 28 contestants, and giant slalom drew 43. Sunday’s halfpipe drew 75 for one of the weekend’s most popular events.
The Beverly Hay Cup winners were Matthew Grant of Park City, Utah and Cora Schneider of the host Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation.
Hay Cups went to overall champions from halfpipe and slopestyle. Breaker Boys (ages 12-13) contestant Grant placed first in each event along with first in giant slalom and second in slalom. Schneider from Breaker Girls’ class was second in both competitions, plus third place in boardercross.
Beverly Hay Snowboard Cup honors have been awarded since 1999 by an early and strong supporter of the SVSEF Snowboard Team.
Other local highlights included: Ali Appleton and Mal Prior winning Open Class Women’s and Men’s halfpipe; Trevor Hattabaugh on top in Open Skier Men’s halfpipe; and Payton Bacca and Zoe Bacca dominating the young Menehune and Grommet girls.
· In other news: Ryan Roemer, 17, of the SVSEF Snowboard Team was fifth in men’s snowboardcross (1st U-18) at the Hole Shot event at Copper Mountain, Colo. In women’s skiercross SVSEF alum Langley McNeal was the women’s skiercross runner-up; and SVSEF Gold Teamer Kaitlyn Farrington placed seventh in superpipe at the Xgames.
Here are SVSEF and other local class placings from the meet—abbreviations signifying slopestyle (SS), giant slalom (GS), slalom (SL), boardercross (SBX) and halfpipe (HP):
· Open Class Women: Ali Appleton 1-SS; 6-GS; 1-HP.
· Open Class Men: Mal Prior 3-SS; 6-GS; 1-HP.
· Open Skier Men: Trevor Hattabaugh 2-SS; 1-HP; and Timo Gould 2-HP.
· Skier Men 16-18: River Kelly 3-SS, 1-HP; and Hayes Gilman 2-HP.
· Skier Men 13-15: Eli Roberts 5-SS, 3-HP.
· Men’s Jam’s (18-22): Connor Smith 1-SS, 1-SBX, 1-HP.
· Breaker girls (12-13): Cora Schneider 2-SS, 3-SBX, 2-HP; Phebe Ericksen 3-SS, 4-HP, 4-SBX; Clara Jenner 2-SL, 1-SBX, 1-HP; Amelia Cookston 3-SL, 5-SBX, 5-HP, 3-SBX; and Emerson McCune 4-SBX, 1-SBX.
· Breaker boys (12-13): Tyler Fiskin 12-SS, 8-SBX.
· Menehune girls (10-11): Payton Bacca 1-SS, 1-SBX, 1-HP, 1-SBX.
· Menehune boys (10-11): Jake Evans 8-SS, 5-SBX; Elk Spencer 10-SS, 2-SBX, 3-HP, 3-SBX; Cole Peterson 6-SBX; and Angus Gilbert 7-SBX.
· Skier Boys 9-and-under: Blake Beckwith 3-SBX.
· Grommet Girls (8-9): Zoe Bacca 2-SS, 1-SBX; 1-HP, 1-SBX; and Channing Curci 2-HP.
· Grommet Boys (8-9): Tague Higgins 5-SS.
· Ruggie Boys (7-and-under): Jack Verhaeghe 4-SS, 2-SBX; 4-HP, 3-SBX.