Wednesday, December 12, 2012

School District considers carbon monoxide detectors

Poison gas effects can be fatal

Express Staff Writer

A carbon monoxide leak that sent nearly 50 Atlanta, Ga., elementary school students and teachers to hospitals two weeks ago drew national attention to the threat posed by an invisible and odorless gas that is released as a byproduct of combustion. 

About 10,000 people are hospitalized each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and about 200 die. Anyone who does not rely solely on electricity for heat may have reason for concern.

Since 2009, carbon monoxide detectors are required for all new residential construction in Idaho, but the rule does not apply to all businesses. The detectors cost $20-$50.

Human error reportedly caused the Atlanta leak when a gas boiler valve was not closed, but mal-functioning or improperly ventilated gas, wood or propane systems can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning. This can be of particular concern in the Wood River Valley, where such systems are often put into use during electricity blackouts.

Following the Atlanta incident, carbon monoxide detectors were installed in all city public schools, even though they are not required by law. 

Idaho law also does not require the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in schools, yet the Blaine County School District is considering installing them.

“The safety and security of our students is one of our biggest responsibilities,” School District spokeswoman Heather Crocker said. “It’s our understanding that carbon monoxide detectors are not required in schools, but in light of what happened in Atlanta, we will review our systems and evaluate the need.”

Crocker said the district has recently increased air circulation in its older buildings to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. She said most school buildings use “combustion mechanical systems” only as backup systems.

A back-up diesel generator system was in operation at Power Engineers in Hailey three weeks ago when carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms were reported among a skeleton crew of workers that had remained after hours during a scheduled power outage.

Hailey Assistant Fire Chief Mike Baledge said the Power Engineers building does not have carbon monoxide detectors, yet he said they are “highly recommended.”

Wood River Fire & Rescue Fire Chief Bart Lassman said 13 occupants of the building reported dizziness and headaches after working in a basement room that held computer servers. Lassman said the building’s occupants said their symptoms faded after they were evacuated from the building. 

Lassman said it’s likely that diesel generators outside the building were producing the gas and that the room was not being ventilated properly.

He said that every year his department responds to about a dozen incidents in which carbon monoxide detector alarms go off. 

“Of those 12 calls, there might be one or two where someone has had some early effect to carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said.

Lassman said that during the 2010 Christmas blackout, many valley residents used gas-powered generators for heat, but did not properly vent them. That led to carbon monoxide being released into houses.

“One person was overcome and had to be transported to the hospital,” he said. “Later that year, a husband and wife were transported after a leak in a gas furnace. None of these people had carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.”

Intermountain Gas provides emergency testing of homes for carbon monoxide leaks for free. The emergency telephone number is 877-777-7442.

About Comments

Comments with content that seeks to incite or inflame may be removed.

Comments that are in ALL CAPS may be removed.

Comments that are off-topic or that include profanity or personal attacks, libelous or other inappropriate material may be removed from the site. Entries that are unsigned or contain signatures by someone other than the actual author may be removed. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or any other policies governing this site. Use of this system denotes full acceptance of these conditions. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

The comments below are from the readers of and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing, Inc.

You may flag individual comments. You may also report an inappropriate or offensive comment by clicking here.

Flagging Comments: Flagging a comment tells a site administrator that a comment is inappropriate. You can find the flag option by pointing the mouse over the comment and clicking the 'Flag' link.

Flagging a comment is only counted once per person, and you won't need to do it multiple times.

Proper Flagging Guidelines: Every site has a different commenting policy - be sure to review the policy for this site before flagging comments. In general these types of comments should be flagged:

  • Spam
  • Ones violating this site's commenting policy
  • Clearly unrelated
  • Personal attacks on others
Comments should not be flagged for:
  • Disagreeing with the content
  • Being in a dispute with the commenter

Popular Comment Threads

 Local Weather 
Search archives:

Copyright © 2020 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.