Autumn officially arrives in the Wood River Valley on Saturday, Sept. 22. And with it comes the end of 2012 Homecoming Week at Wood River High School and Carey High School.
But first, there’s a busy week of activities for students at both Blaine County schools.
School events at Wood River begin Tuesday, Sept. 18, and continue through the football game against the Kimberly Bulldogs on Friday, Sept. 21, starting at 7 p.m. at Hailey’s Phil Homer Field. Carey’s eight-man football team will play the Mackay Miners on Sept. 21.
Here’s a look at scheduled activities at each school:
Wood River’s Homecoming
- Tuesday, Sept. 18: Dress-up day is Olympian Athlete Day. Boys’ varsity soccer home against the Canyon Ridge Riverhawks at 4:30 p.m., followed by the JV contest, and girls’ volleyball at home against Minico at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 19: Dress-up day is Red Carpet Day, along with school pictures. There is a catwalk during lunch with prize giveaway. Girls’ volleyball match against Twin Falls begins at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 20: Dress-up day is White Out. Boys’ soccer at home against the Jerome Tigers with the varsity game at 4:30 p.m. followed by the JV. Bonfire from 8:30-9:30 p.m. adjacent to the school in the empty lot, depending on current smoke situation.
- Friday, Sept. 21: Dress-up day is Show Your School Spirit. Early release 1:40 p.m. Homecoming Parade 2:30 p.m. down Main Street. Football game 7 p.m. against Kimberly including announcement of the royalty. Homecoming Dance 9:30-11:30 p.m. for students with ID.
- Saturday, Sept. 22: Boys’ soccer at home against Madison of Rexburg, Senior Night for the Wolverines, starting at 11 a.m. for the varsity.
The seniors will paint the rock at the beginning of the week. Other high school classes have painted it beforehand. Class dress-up days will occur each day of Homecoming Week.
- Wednesday, Sept. 19: Junior high school volleyball and football with Murtaugh at 2 p.m. Bonfire pep assembly for the older students at 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 20: Home volleyball matches against Murtaugh and Glenns Ferry get underway at 5 p.m. in the gym. Elementary School Open House from 6-7 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 21: Homecoming Parade 2 p.m. down Main Street. Football game 7 p.m. against Mackay including announcement of the royalty.
- Saturday, Sept. 22: Homecoming Dance 8 p.m. at the high school.
Here are the candidates for the 2012 homecoming royalty at Wood River High School:
Senior girls (queen): Taylor Bernston, Nicole Pratt, Sydney Tidwell, Maggie Williams and Mateja Heinrich.
Senior boys (king): Jack Watters, Tim Boyle, Trevor Brand, Ryan Roemer and Nathan Lago.
Junior girls: Haley Montgomery, Chloe Davis, Sage Rust, Sarah Arters and Chloe Lichtenberg.
Junior boys: Quinn Guthrie, Drew Morse, Cooper Bailey, Andrew Graves and Matt Reidy.
Sophomore girls: Sammy Sutton, Brittney Bradley, Brigette Thomas and Claire Sauerbrey.
Sophomore boys: Hayden Thayer, Zac Swanson, Kole Mauldin and Sage Kelly.
Freshman girls: Maggie Marcouiller, Courtney Hall, Carol Hoffman and Grace Kotara.
Freshman boys: Jordan Bjorkman, Brady Delgadillo, Alec Nordsieck and Danny Graves.