Friday, July 9, 2010

Can I get a break for adding insulation?

Ask Ida

Dear Ida B. Green,

Would adding insulation to my attic qualify for tax credit?

Signed, Drafty

Dear Drafty,

Most insulation products qualify for the 2010, 30 percent tax credit. Bringing your attic, floor and rim joist insulation up to the present Energy Star standards should increase both your comfort and energy savings. For details, go to and read from the "Home Improvement" section.

I would guess from your signature that, like most of us, you would be very wise to address the problem of air leaks in your home. Products that air seal (weather stripping, spray foam, caulk and house wrap) also qualify for tax credits as long as they come with a Manufacturers' Certification Statement.

These 30 percent tax credits do not include the cost of installation but will cover all the materials costs whether you install them yourself or have a contractor install them. Sealing and insulating your home's outer walls, ceiling, windows, doors, and floors is often the most cost effective way to improve energy efficiency and comfort but it is only effective when each element is done correctly. A simple error in installation, such as compressing insulation batts or skipping the proper caulking around windows, can dramatically reduce your expected energy savings. The best way to safeguard yourself against ineffective installation is a pre and/or post energy audit. More about that next week.

Keep it Green,


 Local Weather 
Search archives:

Copyright © 2018 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.