Friday, June 4, 2010

Answers to recycling FAQs

Ask Ida

A couple of neighbors stopped Ida B. Green at the polls last week to ask some practical recycling questions.

Q: Should I throw the bottle caps in the recycling with my plastic bottles?

A: Nope. The rigid plastic cap can't be recycled here. Our local recycling purchaser only has a market for No. 1 and No. 2 plastic bottles, so you need to throw plastic cups, straws, tubs, jars, toys, appliances and plastic tops into your trash.

Q: The recyclers left my bag of mixed paper last week. I had cereal boxes and junk mail in that bag. Why did they leave it?


A: That's pretty hard to say without asking the guy directly. We do have a fairly complex recycling system that relies on customers to divide up their recyclables exactly as required by the area's purchaser. Your separations aren't double-checked at Ohio Gulch, so putting the wrong stuff into your recycling containers can lower or eliminate the value of the whole batch as its bundled for sale. Some possible items that frequently contaminate the mixed paper load are: newspapers and magazines (they should be separated into their own bags), paper cups (go into trash due to possible food contamination), egg cartons (go into trash as the glues are wrong for mixed paper).

To clear up any of your curbside recycling questions, call Clear Creek at 726-9600.

Easy to be Green,


—Elizabeth Jeffrey

 Local Weather 
Search archives:

Copyright © 2024 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.