Dear Ida B Green,
Our family loves the Valley with all of its outdoor and wilderness opportunities and we try to do all we can to preserve and conserve this environment. We already recycle and have all new CFL bulbs. What else can we do that would actually make any difference?
Those are two great starts and good examples of relatively small steps that can make a difference. For anyone looking to make some eco-resolutions this year, consider these few ideas to get you started. Whether you're a beginner or an expert, there's always something you can do to help.
1) Bunny Hill:
· Use your own bags when shopping.
· Plan all errands for one car trip.
· Buy a programmable thermostat and set your home temperatures down 10 degrees when you're asleep or not at home.
· Weather-strip around windows and doors, check the insulation in your attic, crawlspace and walls.
· Walk, carpool, or take the bus whenever you can.
· Turn your water heater down to 120 degrees and your house down 2-4 degrees.
· When it's time to replace old electronics, appliances or vehicles, buy the most highly rated, energy-efficient model available.
· Pre-cycle—consider the recycled content and the recyclability of an item and its packaging before buying it.
· Ask businesses and governments to work to improve the sustainability of our finite resources.
Easy to be Green,