John Guare's "Six Degrees of Separation" is coming to Ketchum to be performed at the nexStage Theatre Friday, June 5, through Sunday, June 14. This play is more than just affluent men and women discussing art, boarding school and high-class Manhattan life. It's a play that tackles race, sexuality, trust, class ideology and oddly brings people together.
Director Bruce Hostetler, from Oregon, will lead Chicago-based actor Brandon Saunders and several local actors. Saunders is playing the lead character, Paul, a 22 year-old grifter who can con anyone. He is smart, resourceful and understands how society works. Saunders brings youth and experience to the role and is excited to do make his mark in Idaho.
"The only problem with the character is we don't know who he is," Saunders said. "I hope to fully understand the depth of this character for this performance."
Saunders worked with Hostetler in Ashland, Ore., for Oregon Stage Works. He played the role of Oberon in William Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream." In addition, Saunders performed in several productions for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
"I played the role of Paul as an undergraduate at Southern Oregon University," Saunders said. "But I was too young to understand the role. I am über grateful to do it now."
While in Chicago, Saunders' native city, he spent a great deal of time studying art and understanding how his character was able to be such an incredible con artist.
For details, call 726-4TKS.
Sabina Dana Plasse: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Six Degrees of Separation" by John Guare.
· Thursday, June 4, 7 p.m., $10 preview.
· Friday, June 5, 8 p.m., Champagne Opening and Meet the Director and Cast: $25 general seating, $35 reserved.
· Saturday, June 6, 8 p.m., $25 general seating, $35 reserved.
· Sunday, June 7, 6 p.m., $25 general seating, $35 reserved.
· Thursday, June 11, 7 p.m., $10 show.
· Friday, June 12, and Saturday, June 13, 8 p.m., $25 general seating, $35 reserved.
· Sunday, June 14, 6 p.m., $25 general seating, $35 reserved.