Friday, February 13, 2009

Man dies at Lift Tower Lodge

Ketchum authorities stonewall press inquiries


A man from Connecticut died last week at the Lift Tower Lodge in a case that Ketchum authorities declined to discuss with the Idaho Mountain Express.

Ketchum police spokeswoman Kim Rogers would only call it an "unattended death" and said further inquiries should be directed to the Ketchum Fire Department, which did not return telephone calls regarding the death.

However, Blaine County Coroner Russell Mikel identified the victim as 58-year-old Daniel C. McGrath, of New Haven, and said the man died of self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning.

The man's body was discovered on Tuesday, Feb. 3.

Mikel said the man had checked in at the lodge in south Ketchum a few days earlier and "on the day he was supposed to check out they found him and he'd committed suicide."

The coroner said the man started a fire in a charcoal-burning cooker and "sealed up the room so the carbon monoxide wouldn't escape."

Terry Smith: tsmith@mtexpress.com




 Local Weather 
Search archives:


Copyright © 2021 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.