Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Hailey fire causes minor damage

Resident taken to hospital with possible smoke inhalation


By JASON KAUFFMAN
Express Staff Writer

An early morning house fire last Friday in the Silver Star Drive neighborhood of Hailey caused only minor damage, according to the Hailey Fire Department.

The fire, which was called in at 4:26 a.m., was initially reported as a chimney fire, Hailey Fire Chief Mike Chapman said Tuesday. But when fire crews arrived on the scene, they discovered the fire was located within one wall of the residence behind a pellet stove.

The real cause of the fire was determined to be faulty wiring within the wall, the chief said.

"It had nothing to do with the chimney or the pellet stove," Chapman said.

After arriving and discovering light to moderate smoke in the lower story of the split-level home, fire crews quickly opened the wall to extinguish the flames. The fire was declared controlled approximately 20 minutes after the arrival of the first units, but crews remained on the scene for another 90 minutes to ensure the fire had not spread, according to a news release from the Hailey Fire Department.

One occupant of the home was taken to Saint Luke's Wood River Medical Center to be treated for possible smoke inhalation. The patient was released later in the day. The occupant was not identified by the Fire Department.

The Hailey Fire Department responded to the fire with two engines and 10 firefighters, while Wood River Fire and Rescue responded with six firefighters, a truck and an ambulance.




 Local Weather 
Search archives:


Copyright © 2019 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.