Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ketchum garage fire prompts evacuation


By REBECCA MEANY
Express Staff Writer

Two people and a cat escaped from a Ketchum house late Monday night when a fire broke out in the garage.

Ketchum and Sun Valley fire departments responded just after 11 p.m., Nov. 13, to a fire at 2319 Warm Springs Road, said Kim Rogers, a spokeswoman for the city of Ketchum.

The fire started in the garage due to combustibles being too close to a heat source, Rogers said. No one was injured in the incident.

Ketchum Fire Department responded with one ambulance, four engines and 21 firefighters. Sun Valley responded with two engines, 10 firefighters and one mobile command unit.

Most fire personnel cleared the scene at 2 a.m., but some stayed all night on a fire watch, Rogers said.

The house suffered smoke and other minor damage but will be habitable, Rogers said. The garage had a lot of items in it and suffered much more damage.

The Ketchum-Sun Valley Volunteer Firefighters Association's Burnout Fund is helping homeowner Mark Mutz and renter Robb Hiner with shelter, food and clothing. The pair has been put up at the Clarion Inn in Ketchum and will be provided with vouchers for Atkinsons' Market and the Gold Mine Thrift Store.

The Burnout Fund gets its money from the annual Firemen's Ball, which will be held this Saturday, Nov. 18.




 Local Weather 
Search archives:


Copyright © 2019 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.