Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fire scorches Woodside apartment

Numerous agencies respond to accidental blaze

Express Staff Writer

An unattended fish fry was the apparent cause of a house fire in the Sunnyside apartments in Hailey on Friday evening.

According to a news release from the Hailey Fire Department, firefighters were notified of the blaze at 6:07 p.m. by a neighbor in the four-unit complex at 620 Willow Drive, in the Woodside neighborhood.

"The first arriving units found moderate amounts of black smoke rolling out of the open windows and door of apartment E-3," the release stated.

The department reported the fire was limited to the kitchen and dining area, and was quickly brought under control with a hose. Firefighters removed all smoldering items from the apartment and searched the building for any extension of the fire.

The Hailey department responded with three engines and 12 firefighters. Wood River Fire and Rescue responded with an aerial ladder, one engine, an ambulance and 13 firefighters, and the Bellevue Fire Department aided with an engine and four firefighters.

During the initial response, firefighters were on the scene for approximately three and a half hours, while others returned numerous times throughout the evening and the next day to ensure that there were no smoldering pockets of fire remaining.

No one was injured by the blaze.

Hailey Fire Chief Mike Chapman said the two adults and two children who lived in the unit had left shortly before the fire began. He said they apparently left a stove burner on accidentally, which ignited fish cooking in a frying pan.

The Hailey Fire Department reported that the fire caused only minor damage to the building, but furniture and other items in the apartment were severely damaged by smoke.

All of the building's occupants were provided a room at a local hotel for Friday night. The Fire Department is trying to find permanent housing for the displaced family of four. Anyone wishing to help can call the department at 788-3147.

 Local Weather 
Search archives:

Copyright © 2023 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.