Join the Silver Creek staff 3:30-7 p.m., Saturday, May 27, for a 30th anniversary barbecue at the visitor's center to celebrate three decades of preservation and recreation.
"This should be a lot of fun, very casual," preserve manager Dayna Smith said. "It's going to be very simple with burgers, hot dogs, chips, fruit, veggies and refreshments."
Silver Creek Preserve on-going events:
· Natural History Walks, 9 a.m. to Noon, June 17, July 8, July 22, August 5, August 19.
Naturalist and plant expert Ruth Douglas leads walks around the preserve, every other Saturday.
"She will point out interesting plants, talk about the geology of the area, point out birds and wildflowers, explain the different processes of a spring fed creek, to name a few. This is a great way to be introduced to the area or to learn more about your backyard," Smith said.
Silver Creek Art Series
$15 each or $50 for all four art and writing events.
■· Paper making with native plants and wildflowers, 5:30-8 p.m., Wednesday, June 14.
■ Watercolors. 5:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, June 21. Learn how to use watercolors, paint the amazing Silver Creek landscape.
■· Landscape drawing with colored pencil, 5:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, June 28. Learn about the versatility of colored pencil while enjoying the Silver Creek environment.
■· Writing the Landscape, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, June 28, a nature writing exploration with author Diane Josephy Peavey.
Silver Creek Plant Series
· Weed night with University of Idaho weed extension agent Ron Thaimert, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 7.
Learn about weeds, new threats, ways to combat spread, and alternatives to herbicides and innovative techniques for battling weeds.
· Plant and plant biology walk with Ruth Douglas, 9 a.m.--Noon, Saturday, June 10.
· A Day at Silver Creek, Saturday July 29. Join Silver Creek staff for a natural history walk, a plant walk, bird watching tours, fly-fishing classes, and fly-tying classes.
· Watercolors Wednesday evenings, 5:30-8 p.m. Join the preserve manager and volunteers for painting on the visitor center deck.
There are many other events throughout the summer and opportunities to volunteer. Call 788-7910 for additional activities and events.