Young is the operative word for the Sun Valley Ski Team this season, but for good measure we can throw in the description talented, too.
Fifth-year head coach Ruben Macaya has high hopes for the 14 racers on the A-Team this season, chief among them 16-year-old Lauren Eder.
Eder had a solid week of racing at the recent Western Region FIS (International Ski Federation) Tech series at Mammoth Mountain, Ca. In a highly competitive international field, Eder posted seventh and eighth-place finishes in giant slalom.
"She's shooting to be on the podium for the J2 Nationals," Macaya said. "She has the potential to be a good speed skier, but right now we are developing her tech side."
Macaya said the Intermountain Division is very strong this year. "It's one of the strongest in the western region," he said.
Breaking up the racers by discipline, Macaya said his strong speed skiers are Kristan Timmons, Cam Minor and Cassidy Doucette. They could turn in some good results at FIS downhills in Montana next month.
The coach said, "Cassidy is a gamer. Kristan is probably our best downhiller right now."
Macaya mentioned the same three racers as standouts in super giant slalom and added that Soren Ireland could have a good year despite making the notoriously hard step up as a first-year J2.
Giant slalom is Eder's strongest discipline and other teammates who shine in the event are Cam Minor, Hunter Storey and Teton Brown.
"Teton is a really good technical skier," Macaya said.
In slalom, Macaya tabs Calley Brown, Eder, Brown, Storey and Ireland as potential class winners every time they ski onto the course.
Also racing on Sun Valley's A Team are Corey Bellinger, Shanny Cohen, Dixon Mooseau, Lauren Parsons, Laura Speck, Taylor Stoecklein and Elitsa Storey.
Of course each goal and objective is different for the 161 skiers who make up the five different teams in the alpine program, run through the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation.
"Goals are individual," Macaya said. "Each kid has a little black book. At the beginning of the season they write down their goals and throughout the season we revise with them.
"Everyone's goals are different. Some seek national success, some regional."
Macaya said the team will utilize Soldier Mountain near Fairfield this winter to help round out its training.
He explained, "There are no flats on Baldy. We train on steep terrain. So we will incorporate Soldier into our routine about 10% of the time. Soldier has an element of flat and changing terrain, similar to other resorts."
The Sun Valley team will host the IMC (Intermountain Cup) Downhills in mid-March at Soldier Mountain and Macaya said he plans to apply for the J2 Nationals Championships and Spring Series for next year.
Scott McGrew, a Sun Valley native, is head coach for the 22-strong B Team.
"We have a good group of youngsters. They just feed off each other," he said.
Craig Kjesbo heads up the C Travel Team with 19 members and Rob Webb is in charge of the 42 racers on the C Home Team.
The Development Team, with head coach Doran Key, has grown to 64 members this season, up from 47 last year.
"I think there are a lot of new people moving to the valley and the increase is mostly from new people," Macaya remarked.
2004-05 Sun Valley, Hailey ski team rosters
SUN VALLEY "A" AND "B" TEAMS
· Head coach and alpine director—Ruben Macaya.
· Head coach "A" team—Tyler Palmer. · Head coach "B" team—Scott McGrew
· A/B coaches, staff—Ken Logie, Michel Rudigoz, Pat Revallier, Skip Merrick, Matt McNeal, Yvan Pitte, and Kevin Eccles.
· Alpine "A"/FIS racers (14)—Corey Bellinger, Teton Brown, Calley Brown, Shanny Cohen, Cassidy Doucette, Lauren Eder, Soren Ireland, Dixon Mooseau, Lauren Parsons, Laura Speck, Taylor Stoecklein, Elitsa Storey, Hunter Storey, Kristian Timmons. (Tuition $3,950, post-grad $4,525, includes on-snow Tuesday through Sunday, year-round training).
· Alpine "B"/Inter. Cup/JO team racers (22)—Mandy Alexander, Sara Berman, Riley Berman, Hanna Curran, Marissa Dreyer, Alexis duPont, Madi duPont, Michael Greer, Brigette Helm, Ali Maricich, Elizabeth Levin, Grayson Palmer, McKenna Peterson, Katie Rothgeb, Lauren Rust, Travis Stone, Ainsley Gourlay, Emily O'Reilly, Tanner Flanigan, Alexandra Neeley, Wiley Chubb, Annie Shafran. (Tuition $3,370, ages 13-and-up, includes on-snow Tuesday through Sunday, year-round training).
SUN VALLEY "C" TEAM
· C-Travel head coach—Craig Kjesbo. C-Travel staff—Benji Hill, Justin Stevenson, Ben Verge and Piper Lloyd.
· C-Home head coach—Rob Webb. C-Home staff—Eltiena Campbell, Kat Crowley, Pat Savaria and Ryan Dean.
· Alpine "C-Travel" team (19)—William Adicoff, Karlee Stagg, Harlan Collins, Nicole Roos, Gregory Roos, Jack Reidy, Bergen Palmer, Teagan Palmer, Chase Caulkins, Tyler Davis, Jordan Levin, August Danielson, Bailey Ireland, Jake Freeman, Tanner Farrow, Connor Farrow, William Eagan, Nick Bowen, Sloan Storey. (Tuition $2,130, ages 9-and-up, includes Wednesday through Sunday and holidays).
· Alpine "C"-Home" racers (42)—Adam Brown, Brandon Berry, Alec Demetre, Natalie Bunting, Dylan Carroll, Cassidy Carson, Cole Caulkins, Annie Duff, Grace Eagan, Sierra Fox, Zack Freeman, Charlie Grabow, Will Harder, Zach Israel, Morgan Jones, Tanner Josey, Ben Kanellitsas, Jake Korobkin, KC McGee, Erin Murphy, Christopher Nalen, Billy Nero, Kalen Savaria, Jack Allenbaugh, Spencer Thomas, Emily Gillespie, Natalie Vorsteveld, Colin Waycott, Kipling Weisel, Kelly Willows-Munro, Karl Wilander, Emma Wilander, Meghan Duff, Molly Duff, Tim Kanellitsas, Jace Lieberman, Erik Helm, Michael Weaver, Hunter Weaver, Debbie Horn, Charlie Veytia, Josie Dawson. (Tuition $1,335, ages 9-and-up, includes Wednesday afternoons, weekends and holidays).
SUN VALLEY DEVELOPMENT TEAM
·Head coach and development coordinator—Doran Key.
· Devo assistant coaches, staff—Susanne Connor, Kirk Mason, Adele Savaria, Jeff Enos and Jamie Collins.
· Development racers (64)—Jake Adicoff, Alexandre Bridgeman, Dominic Calhoon, Grace Carroll, Kelsey Furlong, Avery Dumke, George Everitt, Jordan Fitzgerald, Jonathan Fitzgerald, Truman Hanks, Addison Holmes, Marie Hoopes, Logan Kassner, Ethan Kjesbo, Fran Magee, Jonathan Neeley, Drew Punnett, Ellie Punnett, Matt Reidy, Ty Reinemann, Gina Rickling, Jack Rizzo, Olivia Roche, Hannah Dies, Josie Allison, Peyton Achs, Claire Siderman, Chase Hutchinson, Sydney Hagenbuch, Buck Horn, Pete Allenbaugh, Loni Unser, Lauren Willows-Munro, Joseph Begovich, Ryan Willows-Munro, Erik Wilander, Kaitlyn Black, Jake Flaherty, Matthew Reed, Alexandra Black, Alec Poster, Jackie O'Reilly, Ben Maffei, Joseph Begovich, Thomas Gillespie, Madigan Miller, Carter Miller, Alysha Herick, Mason Noyes, Griffin Curtis, Austin Savaria, Jake Thacker, Tatum Morell, Kelsey Furlong, Julia Donovan, Wyatt Wilson, Mateja Heinrich, Eve Preucil, Grady Kassner, Olivia Wentzell, Trenor Gould, Samantha Busby, Hayes Gilman, Caroline Leopold. (Tuition $630, ages 8-and-up, includes weekends).
· Board of directors—Gary Storey (president), Mike Turzian (vice-president), Rich Fabiano (treasurer), Ned Post (president emeritus), Graham Anderson, Gary Black Jr., William Cannell, Kate Berman, Bruce Collier, Paul Fremont Smith Jr., Alex Higgins, Dan Hunt, Gordon Player, Michelle Praggastis, Michel Rudigoz, John Seiller, Priscilla Woods.
HAILEY SKI TEAM
· Head coach and alpine director—Matt Brown.
· J1/J2/J3 team coaches—Ken Corrock (head coach), Karl Stingl, Sabina Bischin and Abbi Gould.
· J4/J5 team coaches—Matt Brown (head coach), Matt Murphy and Galen Webster.
· Home team coach—Tyler Corrock, Wes Powell.
·Intro Team coaches—Heidi Wilt (head coach), Wally Rothgeb, Tina Cole, Nancy Krankkala, Al Seares, Dick Dorworth, Dan Hawley and Jamie McClure.
· Board of directors—Matt Luck (president), Ken Bennett, Baird Gourlay, John Campbell, Beth Beck, John Sweek, Kenny Pierce and Elise Stelling.
· J1/J2/J3 racers (20)—John Anderson, Charlie Baser, Casey Bennett, Derek Blash, Colter Brehmer, Jasmine Campbell, Ross Campbell, Ryon Campbell, Tyler Chandler, Luke Chaney, Barrett Cincotta, John David Davidson, Alisa Durkheimer, Toby Eagan, Eric Fitzpatrick, Ben Gourlay, Ben Luck, Meghan Luck, Dewey Moss, Matthew Preucil. (Tuition $2,045, for ages 15-and-older, $1,895, ages 13-14, includes on-snow Tuesday-Thursday and weekends).
·J4/J5 racers (18)—Connor Bennett, Gracie Brown, Erica Eshman, Alexi Fitch, Ryan Foster, Cord Gardner, Nina Hirner, Ali Levy, Hannah Lynch, Rory Lynch, Marlow Mizer, Marly Morgus, Halsey Pierce, Christopher Preucil, Hannah Rudolph, Amanda Stelling, Miles Sweek, Delaney Willey. (Tuition $1,100, ages 9-12, includes on-snow Tuesday-Thursday and weekends).
·Home team (7)—Reta Flynt, Zachary Lindahl, Peter MacMillan, Tanner Schmiedl, Gavin Shipley, Logan Shipley, Rocket Stickney. (Tuition $800, ages 8-12, includes on-snow Saturdays and Sundays).
·Intro racers (27)—Morgan Atkinson, Samuel Brown, Zach Brown, Lexi Browne, Sam Burns, Alexander Dawson, Katie Dumke, Lily Gillespie, Georgy Goodwin, Jack Goodwin, Samantha Hepworth, McCall Hollie, Ashley Hook, Hayley Hook, Finn Isaacson, Telar McClure, Yuri McClure, Haley Montgomery, Nicole Pratt, Emmett Say, Samantha Sutton, Alexa Szombathy, Moyo Tian, Parker Weekes, Willis Sanchez-Dupont, Kailey Wilt and Ketchum Wilt. (Tuition $400, ages 7-10 minimum, includes on-snow Saturdays).