stress timely arrivals
Slow lines at security expected
By MATT FURBER
Express Staff Writer
Officials with commercial airline
operators, Horizon Airlines and Sky West stress that passenger should arrive
early for flights at Friedman Memorial Airport during the high season this
Flights departing for both airlines are
expected to be completely full for most departures, Horizon Station Manager
Margaret Youdall said. "One thing we want to stress is that passengers arrive 90
minutes prior to departure. We expect flights to be very full."
Airport officials are concerned that
security screening for more than 100 passengers at a time is going to be slow.
"We only have one X-ray machine," Youdall
said. "Security is going to be a challenge."
Horizon and Sky West both have flights
departing at 7 a.m., beginning Sunday, Dec. 14. All Sky West flights go through
Salt Lake City. The 7 a.m. Horizon flight goes to Los Angeles; a 1 p.m. flight
goes to Seattle. The new Sun Valley to Oakland flight, beginning Dec. 17,
departs at 5:35 p.m.
In addition to overcrowding in the
terminal, airport officials said that in the case of weather diversions
passengers must contact the airlines to arrange bus transportation.
"When we have a weather diversion to Twin
Falls, passengers need to check in three and a half hours prior to a scheduled
departure," Youdall said. The drive to Twin Falls is two hours by bus.
On the average, 20 percent of Horizon
flights are diverted due to weather each season Youdall said. "But predicting
that is crystal ball stuff."
Here are some airport tips for high season
- Be at the airport no later than 90 minutes prior to departure.
- Passengers are asked to conduct farewells before entering the terminal.
- Gifts should not be wrapped before flying. Security personnel may have
to open them at the checkpoint.
- "Pack Smart": Be sure luggage does not contain any restricted items. A
list can be found at
- "Dress the Part": Avoiding clothing and accessories that may set off
metal detection equipment will speed the security screening.
- If inclement weather is imminent, air carriers recommend calling three
and a half hours in advance of departure. Alternative transportation may
require an earlier departure from the airport.
- Passengers are limited to one carry-on item and one personal item such
as a lap top computer or a handbag.